Following steps you can consider
1. First you have to install mySql in your ubuntu using synaptic manager.
2. Than, you have to start mySql by typing following command
$ sudo /etc/init.d/mysql start $ mysql -h localhost -u root -p
3. After executing these command, you have to insert your root password/usually your password which you are using.
4. Now you can create your database as your wish.
$ mysql > SHOW DATABASES; $ mysql > CREATE DATABASE test; $ mysql > USE test
5. Try to play some query on your own interest.